Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pediatrics

So, yesterday I orientated at the big pediatrics hospital in my area.  I was initially very nervous about starting this clinical rotation because of the children. I've worked with adults for 2 years now in my clinical rotations but children honestly scare the crap out of me :| Everything with them is so precise because they are so small! Everything is different...the IV pumps, the med dosages, the calcualtions...I think forgetting and reverting back to my automatic "im taking care of an adult" mode might be to easy to get into and I'm super nervous about it! I'm also extremely nervous about keeping my emotions in check with all the peds patients. I've been known to cry at TV commercials so I don't know if I can hold it together infront of a child. Kids aren't supposed to be sick! They are supposed to run around and be healthy. Seeing sick kids kind of freaks me out....I do one 12 hour shift a week so yesterday was my orientation and next Tuesday will be my first full working shift on the unit. I.Am.Terrified. :|

2 comments:

  1. You'll do great!! Try to concentrate on the fact that you're going to be helping them get better and how rewarding it will feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! It isn't that bad actually! My rotation ends in 4 weeks, I'll write a full blog post about how I made it through. The kids are so fun!!!

      Delete