Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Excuse me, you have pertussis, I think....

So, I have a story for you people today!

I live in a big city. Currently in this city we are dealing with a pertussis (whopping cough) outbreak. This is mostly fatal to young children. Hopefully you guys know what this is, and if not then head over to your handy dandy med surg book and look it up ;) Or google....cause when in doubt google what its about. Anywhooo, I was riding public transit to work and was just sitting there minding my own business when I noticed a man pushing a stroller walk onto the train with a woman who was yapping away on a cell phone. In the stroller was an incredibly cute little child. As chubby as could be. They were fairly close to me, The child smiled at me and I smiled back. Then I heard it, the ever so distinct noise made by one who may have whooping cough. The smile slowly vanished from my face as I watched this child attempt to take a breath in between spurts of coughing. I couldn't bear it anymore. I turned in my chair. "Excuse me, hi, um I'm a nursing student and I was wondering if you knew that currently there is a whopping cough outbreak here and your child sounds like they might have it! Were you aware" I was speaking to the gentleman behind the stroller as the mother was too busy talking on a telephone to notice what was happening. Grrrr. The man displayed a look of geniuine concern and took a look at his child then claims "No, I didn't know that....you think he has it?" "Well, I'm not sure but it sounds like it...Can I ask how long he has had the cough for?"  "I think a couple of weeks..I'm not sure thought" Then he glances over at the woman who now is interested in the conversation I'm having with her boyfriend or husband..whatever. I smiled and filled her in on what I was saying and concluded with "Maybe it would be a good idea to take your baby into a doctor to get them checked out, pertussis is treatable but dangerous without treatment and can lead to respiratory issues when the child is older." Here I am thinking I found the perfect teachable moment to help a child and educate a mother and father about the dangers of pertussis, but no. Not even a little bit.
"Who do you think you are?? YOU think I don't KNOW when MY child is SICK??" The woman is infuriated by my innocent advice. Dumbfounded I stare at her face wondering how seriously stupid she could be. I want to ignore her and tell the father to take the child to a physician. I look at her and claim that I was simply trying to be of assistance and if she doesn't want to hear it then fine but for her child's sake she should consider my advice. Then I turn around and go back to my world of silence while waiting for the train to get to my stop. I hope that child was taken in to a physician. And I hope that mother isn't as crazy as she came off.

I suppose my helpful ways aren't always well received. Jeez.....

No comments:

Post a Comment