Pageviews

Sunday, May 13, 2012

I'm a nurse?

You always think about how you would react in an emergency situation. Will you remember all of your training and spring into action? Will you cry in a corner and realize you're not cut out for nursing? Will you freeze and then regain control and handle that situation? I like to think that I'll freak out for about 15-20 seconds that hopefully my nursing training kicks in and directs me in the right path.

The other day I was at a family function. Suddenly my dad comes up to my and states that one of my nephews is having chest pain and I need to come look at him. Instantly my heart is pounding. Oh MY GOD. They are putting the care of the child into my hands and expecting an expert opinion. My cousin is looking at me asking what is wrong with her son. PRESSURE PRESSURE. My nephew is 6 years old and has diabetes. He is very good at managing his illness but like with all kids mistakes are made. So I walk over to him. He's lying on a couch clutching his stomach/chest area. He's wincing. This kid is in visible pain. Think Think!! What do you do. I ask him what's wrong. He informs me is chest is hurting.
" Where is it hurting?"
"Right here" He points to an area right underneath his sternum at the base of his ribcage.
"Hmmmmmm, has this happened before?"
"No...it's really hurting"
After some more conversation I determine that this is not chest pain, this seems to be more stomach/intestinal pain. When I palpated I really felt nothing. Pain was described as 6/10 and just started as he was running around with his cousins. After asking him if he hurt himself that he day he mentions that he fell down in the bouncy castle and fell on his stomach. Ah, we are getting somewhere now. My next question...when was the last time you went poop? or farted? he giggles. He went poo this morning. Excellent. I have a nagging suspicion he just needs to burp/fart. I hand him a fizzy drink being mindful of his diabetes. He drinks up....5-10 minutes later. BURP. Suddenly he feels much better and away he goes. I did it!!!!!

In my family I also have a cousin who is a family doctor and he was unavailable when my nephew was feeling sick but showed up halfway through my assessment and told me I did a great job. The only thing he did differently was asking questions about his breathing. DUH ribcage..base of ribcage..lung expansion...can't believe I missed that one.
It felt so good to be looked at as a professional and to help assess and "cure" my nephew of his gas. :) I'm realizing that when I feel like I learn nothing in nursing school it's not true. I'm learning many things.
That's the story for today nursies!! Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. This blog is really a great source of information for me. Thank you for giving me such important information.
    Click here for purchase: Shop Our Portion Control Store

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am a student nurse starting my first semester at the end of August! I have been looking at your blog posts for the past 6 months or so since I applied to the program I got into. This blog and your videos are really informative, and it's great to hear about a student nurse' experiences. I've also started a blog and would love it if you checked it out as well. Keep up the good work and congrats on becoming an ESN! I'm so excited for you!! studentnurse2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete